Nearing the End – Chemo round 8

I finished my 8th round of chemotherapy on Friday and I feel like giving a quick summary of how the week went.
I am receiving chemo for one week straight every four to five weeks.

Day 1: I had just gotten over a bladder infection and was glad to no longer be leaking all over the place at sudden urges to need the toilet. I am susceptible to bladder infections anyway but never had one the same week I was due to have chemo. I was given the go ahead to start treatment, but after a long time just trying to get blood from my veins, I felt uneasy about the decision to go ahead, but did so anyway as I had no logical explanation as to not to.

I was sent through to receive my chemo but needed a new line as the cannula I already had from the blood test, was too painful for chemo to run through.

I should have listened to my sixth sense, as nine painful attempts later, after 2 nurses had tried and many tears were shed, a doctor finally found a working vein. I had never cried over the pain of getting a cannula in my arm before, no matter how much it hurt. The nurses were very sympathetic and gave me the option to stop at any time. I didn’t want to miss a day as it may have hindered my  end results, just by that day. I had my first day of five of treatment and ended up with the bruises to prove it.

2014-09-15 18.39.402014-09-15 18.33.45

Day 2: I was praying my cannula still in my arm from yesterday hadn’t got dislodged and would still be working for treatment to pass through. I always get nervous when it’s about to be checked as the pain is horrendous when fluid goes into the tissue instead of the vein. All worrying was for nothing and everything ran smoothly, within 45 minutes, I was out of there.

The bruises on my arms had ballooned up and could have been mistaken for a drug addict’s after too many injections.

Day 3: I had orientation with uni today and didn’t know how I was going to juggle this with needing treatment. Uni was timetabled to be finished at 5 and 4.30 was the latest I could be up at the hospital. I made it to the hospital for 3.30 and once again the nerves came over me as my cannula was about to be checked. A sigh of relief when everything felt pain free and off I went with treatment.

Day 4: orientation again meant practicing my juggling skills. My results from a bone density scan done earlier that week came back with signs of osteoporosis in my right hip. I was given another tablet to add to my collection to be taken, but reassured it was caught before damage was done. From taking home economics in school, I am aware of this taboo word. I wasn’t upset or alarmed by this news as I am too used to complication after complication at this stage to get upset.

Day 5: after a rough week of chemotherapy, I took to some retail therapy in the form of shopping to distress.

I have four months left until I finish my protocol of treatment, and doctors to decide what happens next. I don’t really have confidence in any doctor when it comes to suggesting treatment for my condition, as no one has done so in the past. Just like I researched and proposed the chemo treatment I am on now to my histio specialist, I am relying on myself to figure out what my next step will be to reverse things.

This may add extra pressure to me, as I’m already taking part in a full time university course, and now on top of that I will be researching what treatment will have the best response for my cerebellum to regenerate (if even possible). I should’ve studied to become a doctor instead! I’d have a lot less juggling to do. I sometimes feel as if I’m doing the doctor’s job; but not really having a specialist doctor in the country I live in, who is willing to devote their time to finding a treatment for me individually, does have these downfalls

3 thoughts on “Nearing the End – Chemo round 8

  1. You are very brave. You write beautifully. I share the same fears for my little girl. She and you are two of a very small group. My daughter is too young to worry but she hates needing so much help to just get in the Kindergarten door everyday. I do all the worrying for her and it is just exhausting. I hope your disease and hers have just turned themselves off.

  2. I’ve been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made
    good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful
    than ever before.

    1. Thank you Joesph. The content I write are real experiences I have faced in life. The experiences and struggles I have faced over the last 8 years, I think has shaped my writing style.
      My aim through this blog is to make readers aware of this disease and motivate them to pass on the message that no medical condition should be ignored, no matter how rare or unprofitable a treatment drug may be. To that one person who profits from it, it will mean the world; unfortunately today’s society is dictated by money, and people like me suffer as a result.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s